2008年7月14日星期一

The Arboretum

There is an arboretum next to the house I live. I have been there twice, but now I have not walk around the whole area in it yet. I really quite like this place, the place with natural beauty and peaceful life.


There is also an arboretum in Beijing which is located in a part of a mountain. Compared to the one here in Ann Arbor, that one in Beijing is a place filled with man-made landscape. I think it is very strange contrasted to the traditional Chinese culture in which people put much emphasis on natural aesthetics, now the Chinese buildings and parks etc. contain more and more man-made elements, while western people seem to be more concerned about keeping the original site of nature.


Yesterday I went to the arboretum here again. This time I chose the narrow path around lawn. There are several big lawns in it. I saw some people play games like soccer and frisbee there, some just sit on the grass, talk with each other or just enjoy the sunshine. And I could always meet couples with their dog in the path. Sometimes receiving a smile or a simple greeting "Hello" from strangers would make me feel at my own hometown.


A lot kind of plants are in the arboretum like tall trees, small yellow flowers and so on. But I could not tell their names. Nobody picked up flowers here including kids. Huron River also goes across here. Water in the river is quite clear. I have not seen such natural scene for a long time living in city.


Enjoy sunshine! Enjoy Arboretum!

1 条评论: