2008年7月7日星期一

First day in the lab

Today is the first day we have been in the lab.

It is really a research group with harmony. Everyone is nice and kind. In the morning there is an interesting and special activity called coffee time. All the people go to a coffee store together ordering one's own favourite drink and then walk and talk together to the lab. Then the work of this day starts.

Our group is just like a international family. Almost everyone comes from a different nation. I have three mentors in the lab, Matteo, Joe and Sun. They come from different countries. Joe is American and he comes from the state of New Jersey. Sun is from Asia (Sorry, I donot quite get what he comes from). He knows a lot of Chinese words and he has a Chinese name. Matteo is the guy I would recommend eagerly. He comes from Italy. His spoken English is quite interesting with a strange accent of Italian. At the same time it makes me hard to understand him. Sometimes it is just like to hear another language rather than English. However, he is really a cute man. This week I will work with him to do some experiments aiming at synthesizing a compound including two metallacrowns. He told me the basis and comprehensive knowledge of metallacrown. I think he is a very perfect teacher! Every time after he has told me something, he would ask "any questions?" to inspire me to think. Thinking about new ideas is really important for a scientist.

I have learned the safety rules and the research plan of this week.

Good start! Looking forward to the experiments tomorrow!

没有评论: